Friday, May 25, 2012

Forever Gone... But Not Forgotten

Memorial Day is generally seen as the start of the Summer traveling season in America, and sadly many forget the other reason for the holiday. Thinking about the upcoming event, I remembered that a National Cemetery had opened here in Jacksonville and decided to visit.  As usual, click each photo for a better view. 


The area is out in the country, which despite the distance makes sense because it enabled the cemetery to buy a good expanse of land that allows room to grow as veterans from various conflicts age and ultimately require a space. There is something solemn that strikes you as you encounter the entrance. 

I worked to get this shot because in its own way it reminded me of Arlington National Cemetery  which has a much longer history and a special place in the hearts of most Americans as the resting place of America's war dead. Strange, but I felt a sense of pride that Jacksonville could now be counted as part of that national history. 








I could not help but think that Marine James Davis has a great view of the grounds throughout eternity. Rest easy my friend.








There are restrictions for flowers and displays on a grave, that I at first thought were harsh but on reflection realized simple tributes are much more poignant. This lone flower almost shouts "I remember" and is why I like this shot. 








Lest we forget, there is a human cost to war, and someone dear has been lost. This visitor captured for me the remembering that needs to take place from time to time. That we honor the dead and announce that they are forever gone... but not forgotten. 

No comments:

Post a Comment